It’s possible to explore the Cirque de Mafate without being an experienced walker!
Clovis, known as the scout of the West, will take you on a getaway for a few hours to the heart of the king of the calderas. The perfect opportunity to find out more about this protected natural environment, the history and the locals.
• 06:45am: Meet at the Rivière des Galets car park in La Possession
• Clovis or Mathieu will be waiting there for you, both qualified mountain guides from the Tourist Office for the West.
• 7am: 4x4 ride to Deux-Bras
• 7:45am: the hike begins
• 3hrs of walking with river crossings, incredible views, fruit trees, waterfalls down the cliffs, native plant species, natural swimming pools, etc. You are guaranteed a change of scenery
• Throughout the hike, the guide will tell you all about the history of the Cirque, the period of history about the “marrons” (runaway slaves), the first inhabitants of Mafate who found refuge at the heart of the sheer cliffs. The guide will also tell participants about the health benefits of the many plants seen along the way, such as the Lantana Camara which is recommended for migraines, or the bark of the Benjoin which is well-known for its medicinal qualities.
• After walking for around 3 hours, hikers will arrive at the Grand Place îlet, the biggest village of lower Mafate, covering 3 distinct plateaux: Grand Place “Cayenne”, Grand Place “Ecole” and Grand Place “les Hauts”. These îlets (small villages) have a clear heritage value as they are found on the access road to the former spa village of Mafate-Les-Eaux which prospered in the middle of the 19th century and was the beginning of the development of the Cirque as we see it today (the village has since disappeared due to a side of the cliff collapsing).
• Lunch at a table d’hôtes: a pleasant moment around a delicious traditional meal in a welcoming environment.
• After lunch, the small group heads back down towards the river to enjoy the fresh crystal-clear waters and hidden pools, then sets off on the footpaths back to the 4x4 that will take them back to civilisation.
Discover a one-of-a-kind place, classified World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
A temporary plunge into the heart of a caldera full of history
A day out with a combination of past and present
Booking is compulsory at least 24hrs in advance
Schedule: every Thursday
Minimum: 1 person / Maximum: 15 people (children from the age of 8)
Remember to bring:
Good walking shoes, 1 backpack (10 to 20 litres), a bottle of water, hat, sun cream, waterproof clothing, snack, shoes for walking through the water (not flip-flops)
Duration of the trip:
+/- 8 hours